What's this all about?

Hi, my name is Tom Roberts. Welcome to my blog. I'm cycling along the less traveled routes from the most southern point of Africa to the most northern point of the United Kingdom in aid of Rhino Conservation. As part of my trip I'm making a television documentary. I invite you to join me.

Track my progress

Wednesday 2 January 2013

I'm getting into this!


I have been on the road for well over a month now and have completed just short of 2000 miles, the baby fat, which I’ve lovingly nurtured for years, has gone, Wonder Bra now need have no fear of me tapping them up for a couple of sports bra’s, it’s all gone, nothing fits any more.
It’s amazing how quickly ones body adapts to this type of regime, when I started out, 50 mile days were the goal and in the first few weeks it was difficult to consistently achieve it, water, heat, headwinds and terrain all put a brake on an already over loaded back wheel.

Today, just over a month later I’m doing 80-mile days with ease, regardless of the conditions, 100+ miles if I need to. The battle between my backside and the saddle has finally been settled in favour of my backside after weeks of feisty argument, come on Brooks saddles……

The hardest part of this whole deal is being alone all the time. It’s a constant battle with my mind, who by the way thinks it should be running on the fells (mountains) with Mick and Dave, or sitting in the Bonny Moor Hen In Stanhope having a few pints with Stu and the lads, or sitting in Cape Town with my family, anything but sweating it out in 40 degree heat and humidity, this place really has to be experienced to believed.
I tend to spend around 7 hours a day in the saddle and in a usual day get though about 15 litres of water, the good thing about this is that the load gets lighter as the day progresses!

I know that if I can just keep control of my mind I can do this thing; I think the trick is to keep making it think all is well, even when it’s not! This trip has been such a strange experience, last night I was camped in a coconut grove being lashed by a tropical storm, the tent eventually gave up and collapsed, leaving me totally exposed to it’s fury, I spent the night cowering under a mango tree in awe of it’s ferocity wondering what the hell I thought I was doing here.
Tonight I’m sat in a backpackers lodge next to a pool having a couple of beers listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival, tomorrow I’ll be swamp man again, strange shit this is…….

 When it all starts to get to me  I ask the question. Does Stu have mangos, coconuts and fabulous seafood? I’m afraid he doesn’t so I better keep on moving,  but he sure pulls a good pint!

As an aside, has anyone out there ever had 7 punctures in a morning?  I have, today.

4 comments:

  1. Go Tom. We all miss you here in Cape Town. But we want you to succeed. You are our inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom. Gwynn just introduced your blog to me. You're already inspiring me. Keep going strong:) Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big shout-out to you, Tom! You've come a long way ;) If you see four off-road bikers (motor bikes), they're on the way back to CT from Uganda. Have just crossed the border into Kenya. They have ridden from CT to Kampala and now on their way back to CT to raise funds for SA education. So there are more 'crazies' out there like you! Would be amazing if you crossed paths - you can find them on Twitter @SA2Uganda. They've had various mechanical problems, one of them doing what seems like half the trip without shocks, but they are, like you, determined to do this for a higher cause. I'm sure you'd have some very interesting stories to swap. Keep going! All the best, Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tom,
    It was great meeting you and chatting to you at San Antonio in Mozam. All the best for the trip going forward! Will keep following your blog and will see if our paths cross again in Kenya in March/April.
    Enjoy the ride!
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete