What's this all about?

Hi, my name is Tom Roberts. Welcome to my blog. I'm cycling along the less traveled routes from the most southern point of Africa to the most northern point of the United Kingdom in aid of Rhino Conservation. As part of my trip I'm making a television documentary. I invite you to join me.

Track my progress

Thursday 21 February 2013

Tanzania (cont.)


 It’s vast, largely untamed and beautiful. I’ve caught it in the rainy season and I’ve certainly been put to the test.  I wanted an African experience and believe me I’ve had one. I ended up pushing my bike for three solid days through mud and soft sand in an area so remote that it probably falls into the imbecilic category. The fact that I pushed it through a game reserve with lions and other hungry beasts only goes to confirm it, in my defence I had no idea I was there.
I had somewhat foolishly thought that a game reserve would have a fence, possibly even a gate and a sign kindly requesting me not to feed myself to the animals, sadly not, the road just runs through it. I did however notice a sign as I exited that read “ Game viewing and photography without paying the entry fee is strictly prohibited”, do me a favour!
I was headed for Burundi, I hoped to get there by the weekend but a gut feel and a few conversations have persuaded me otherwise, it’s one thing finding oneself in trouble, quite another knowingly getting into it. I will now be backtracking for a 100km or so and then heading for Uganda.
Just loving this living the dream caper, hard as it is at times!!!
Hopefully the photos give you an idea of what this country is like.
Lake Tanginika

.

1 comment:

  1. Looks awesome! Thanks for the photos & update. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete